Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Up in smoke...

Well...the strangest thing happened to me last Friday morning at 2:45 AM. My Ford Explorer caught fire and burned...just poof...actually it was more of a boom...then poof...
So here is what happened:

My son had just gone to bed...still haven't figured out why he was up at 2:45 in the morning, but thank God he was still up! He had just crawled into bed and he heard a boom and the garage light came on. He jumped up and looked out the window and saw my truck in flames!!! He came into my room and woke up hubby and me and told me "Mom, your truck is on fire". I tried to gather my wits and process what he had just said to me and I jumped up and looked out of our bdrm window...sure enough...FLAMES!! I yelled at Glenn to get up, my truck is on fire. I ran to the phone and called 911 and then jumped into some clothes and ran out the door and over next door to dd's house. I banged on the back door and she jumped up and opened it and I told her to get Michael...my truck is on fire. (He is a firefighter). In the mean time, Glenn is outside with the garden hose wetting down the inferno. Chris moved dh's truck away from mine. We live in a rural area and our Fire dept is volunteer, so Michael is bunkered out in gear waiting for a truck and a hose...lol. The truck finally arrived and they got to work, but at that point my truck engine compartment was pretty much toast. Do you know how bad a burning vehicle smokes and stinks?! MY SIL and the other fireman had to put on breathing gear. I've got some pics to share...poor truck...








Nice huh?..........

We were just a few minutes from having it completely burn up. The fire had already made it past the firewall and was heading inside the truck. The smoke damage and soot on the inside of my truck is just awful. Lost a good pair of prescription sunglasses too. The ins. co. sent a wrecker to get her yesterday (Tuesday)....kinda sad to see her go, she's been with me a long time.
We were blessed that the garage was not damaged, nor was anything else. Thank you Jesus!!

Now we wait on the insurance company. They did say that this is a Ford "problem". Something to do with the cruise control box that sits close to the brake stuff under the hood. The housing breaks down over time and causes it to short out and catch fire. That seems to be where the fire was the hottest, right where this thing would have been.

I had to laugh at hubby...We have been in revival at church all last week and this week. He said "well...we have been praying for fire!" This is NOT what I had in mind...lol.

I haven't made anything in the last few weeks, but I did get some new rubber stamps in from Unity Stamp Co. and also 2 Kits of the Month from My Creative Scrapbook and a new set of Prism colored pencils so I am anxious to get back to work (play). Just waiting on my Gamsol to get here.
TTYL



1 comment:

Hobbyaholic said...

Sorry to hear about your truck. Glad everyone was safe and your son was up to catch it.